Friday, October 24, 2008

What I learned in China

What did I learn?


About the City

  • I learned the New (less than a month old) Beijing International airport was amazing.
  • I learned the New (some less than 2 weeks old) Subways are pretty easy to navigate.
  • I learned the city is really vibrant and modern, not what I was expecting.
  • I learned that its hot in Beijing in August, go figure.
  • I learned traffic might be one traffic cop short of crazy with about 2 million more cars on the road.




About the People
  • I learned they are proud of their city, as they should be.
  • I learned they love to interact with each other in their community.
  • I learned they go about their daily lives just like us in normal non-Olympic times.
  • I learned they go to work in the morning, home in the evening and hang out with family on the weekends.
  • I learned that some don't like their jobs, others love their jobs.
  • I learned that its a pretty laid back schedule for professionals.

    About Society
  • I learned that the retired folks stay very busy and active for the most part.
    I learned they love to exercise and interact with each other almost every day.
  • I learned that some of the older folks don't like the hustle and bustle that Beijing has become, others thrive on it.
  • I learned the subways can be cramped but pretty quiet and we Americans are loud and stand out in a crowd (as usual).
  • I learned that Chinese society is pretty homogeneous, yeah there are many people groups in China but they don't mix.
  • I learned that they care deeply about their families and are very family oriented.

    About Pre-Set Impressions

  • I learned they care very much what we in the west think of them, them personally for sure but about "them" as a nation as well.
  • I learned they have AMWAY salesmen.
  • I learned they have no specific thoughts on religion but they do on spirituality, but it remains a somewhat vague notion for some.
  • I learned they do have opinions on politics and will share them with you.
  • I learned taxi cabs can indeed be bugged.
  • I learned they have great great food in Beijing.
  • They don't quite "get" us.
  • There is a lot below their surface they don't say.


    About their Future

  • I learned Beijing is a thriving metropolis but 40 miles outside of the city its a different picture.
  • I learned that University students are the same all over the world, they have hope.
  • I learned that the country needs God.
  • I learned that the Buddhist temple was a very "dark" place spiritually.
  • I learned that people are searching for something beyond their own lives.



    • I learned I haven't even scratched the surface.

    China is what it is

No comments: